This was a kitchen experiment that worked out well.
- 1 lemon or 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 chicken breasts (cut in large cubes)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground garlic
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tsp honey
- 2 tsp water
- 2 tsp rice wine
- 1 garlic clove (zested)
- 1 tsp zested ginger
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon, or pour the juice, over the chicken
- Sprinkle the salt over the chicken and hand rub to fully cover the breasts
- Leave for approximately 10 minutes then rinse the chicken breasts
- Mix the paprika, ground garlic, ground ginger, salt and black pepper in a small bowl then rub to fully cover the chicken breasts cubes. Set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavour to absorb.
- Over a medium heat mix the soy sauce, honey, water, wine, clove and ginger until it reaches a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and allow the sauce to reduce over a low heat.
- Separate approximately 1 tablespoon of the mixture into a small bowl or mug and add the cornstarch.
- Mix until the cornstarch is fully dissolved then add to the main sauce mixture.
Remove from heat.
- Stack chicken breast cubes on to skewers then brush on half of the teriyaki sauce mixture
- Grill on each side for approximately 5 minutes, then brush on the remaining sauce and grill for an additional 2 minutes on each side.
Garnish with chives and serve.