Ohhh French Toast!! My second love. Second to pancakes, of course. These are trés easy to make. Just about any type of bread can be used – high protein, gluten free etc. Personally I go for this African bread that I find in the “ethnic” markets of London lol. This bread is EVERYTHING!! …but everything in moderation 😉
- 2-3 Slices Bread ( I use African Sweet Bread ooohhh yum!)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 scoop Protein Powder (I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Cardamom
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 medium Mango
- Coconut Oil
- Slice the mango to your desired thickness and set aside.
- If not already sliced, slice the bread to your desired thickness.
- In a medium bowl lightly beat the eggs with the cardamom and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, or even a shaker, blend the mix the protein powder and water until smooth. Then mix this into the beaten egg.
- Soak the bread slices in the egg mixture until the bread is full saturated, but still firm enough to lift without falling apart. It may be best to do this in a shallow dish to allow the bread to soak while laying flat. Soak on both sides of the bread to assure that it is fully coated.
- Over a medium heat, melt the coconut oil in a frying pan. Test that the oil is ready by gently circling the pan to move around the oil – it should move swiftly. Once ready, carefully place the bread into the pan and fry for 3 – 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Transfer the toast to a plate and top with the mango. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon.
I love to add a dollop of greek yogurt and a bit of honey for some extra goodness!!If you want to store the rest of the mango. Rub the exposed flesh with white vinegar then tightly cover with cling wrap and refridgerate. This will prevent browning.